|Style||Dry, White, Full Bodied, Stone and Orchard Fruit, Balanced, Fresh,|
|Region||Terre di Chieti, Abruzzo|
Fantini Farnese 'Calalenta' Pecorino Terre di Chieti is a vibrant straw yellow wine with a lively bouquet of balsamic notes, ripe apricot and pears. On the palate, it offers intense concentration and balance, with a round, full body and a lasting finish of refreshing acidity. Enjoy this expertly crafted Pecorino.
Decanter Magazine: 88Pts
Drinking Window: 2023 - 2026
"This super-bright white is summer in a bottle: super–fresh with melon, apple and lemon scents and flavours accompanied by some herbal touches. Perfect with a salad or antipasti."
About the Producer
The Fantini group owns Gran Sasso, Vesevo, Zabù, Vigneti del Salento, Vigneti del Vulture, Cantina di Diomede and Tufarello, among others, but Fantini is their flagship winery. Alberto Antonini oversees production, ensuring that these wines offer great quality, varietal character and value. Their elegant and striking packaging makes them stand out on the shelf or table.
Vineyard and Winery
The west and south/west facing vineyards are situated around the town of Ortona, on the Adriatic coast in Abruzzo. Vines are planted on calcareous clay soils of a medium texture and trained on a pergola system. Pecorino is a fairly rare variety, with only about 300 hectares planted in the Abruzzo and Le Marche regions. Its name derives from the fact that a bunch of Pecorino grapes was traditionally considered to have a similar shape to a sheep's head.
Once the grapes arrived at the winery, they were gently crushed and destemmed. Pressing and cooling were carried out in a few seconds down to -1°C in an inert atmosphere. Static clarification of the must took place, followed by fermentation at 12°C in order to preserve the character of the fruit. 80% of the juice was fermented in stainless-steel tanks, the other 20% in 40-hectolitre oak barrels.
Well worth nicking a 20 from your Nans purse for. One of the best Italian whites I've ever had. Holds food incredibly well and who doesn't like a funky glass stopper.
Was introduced to this wine by my brother in law. Very soft and delicate. We keep it as a special occasion wine.
Excellent wine. Fresh, crisp and sweet. Perfectly priced and delivered within a few days. Will definitely be ordering again.
A beautifully soft and fragrant wine. It lacks the sometimes unpleasant sharpness that some dry whites can give off - yet it cannot be mistaken for a sweet wine. Forget the fancy shaped bottle, this is easily a wine you will fall in love with and it will quickly become a firm favourite. Thoroughly recommended.
Net Orders Checkout