Mitolo 'Jester' McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon

£17.50
  • Mitolo 'Jester' McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Mitolo 'Jester' McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon

Mitolo 'Jester' McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon

£17.50

AVAILABILITY: 10 in stock

Grape Cabernet Sauvignon
Style Dry, Red, Full Bodied, Fresh, Black Fruit, Textured, Herbs
Country Australia
Region McLaren Vale
Volume 75cl
ABV 14.5%
Dietary Vegetarian, Vegan

 

Mitolo's 'Jester' Cabernet Sauvignon offers complex aromas of tobacco, dried herbs, minerality, and dark chocolate. On the palate, it displays weight and texture with ripe blackcurrant, black cherry, and earthy notes. Balanced acidity and savoury, dusty tannins complete the taste experience. Enjoy this elegant McLaren Vale wine with red meat from the barbeque and herby dishes.

About the Producer

Mitolo is a family owned winery established in 1999 by Frank Mitolo, with a vision to create individual, handcrafted premium wines built on passion and an uncompromising commitment to quality. Winemaker Ben Glaetzer became a partner in the business in 2001. The fusion of Frank's intimate knowledge of the land and business acumen with Ben's winemaking talent has led to the creation of one of Australia's most exciting wineries. In early 2022, Mitolo welcomed Luke Mallaby as Head Winemaker. Ben’s new role as consultant enables him to support Frank, Luke and the team and help ensure the continued success of these wines.

Vineyard and Winery

The fruit comes from 20-year-old vines planted at the southern end of McLaren Vale, about 4km east of the coastal town of Port Willunga. At 25 metres above sea level, the soils are heavy grey loam mixed with black Biscay clay and sit above ancient Ngaltinga formation bedrock. Sea breezes mediate day time heat while the cracking clays reduce vigour during the critical ripening period. These factors help to produce a wine of depth and concentration.

The grapes were fermented over 12 days in 8 tonne potter fermenters and larger vinomatics. In both circumstances pumpovers were carried out twice, daily. The temperature was maintained between 20-24˚C to retain fruit vibrancy and ensure a soft tannin structure. The ferment was stopped early and finished in a stainless steel tank before the wine transfered to seasoned barrels - 70% of which were french oak while the remaining 30% were American hogshead barrels, where the wine remained for 10 months. Malolactic fermentation was completed and followed by racking, before being returned to oak to complete it's maturation. No finings and only light filtration was used prior to bottling.

Reviews