Waterkloof Chenin Blanc is a premium South African Chenin Blanc which is elegantly full-on in style. The nose has a well-defined complexity with aromas of quince, white peach and yellow apple alongside hints of fennel. On the palate which has great concentration of honeyed, lightly floral fruit given further freshness by the balancing acidity and minerality. The finish is extended with hints of ripe apricot and more of that glorious honey. This is a wine with a strength and precision of fruit character, layered structure and refined balance that will see it age gracefully for many years.
Try Waterkloof Chenin Blanc with light seafood pasta dishes and risottos, goats cheese salad or roasted butternut squash.
|Style||Dry, White, Medium Bodied, Barrel Fermentation, Lees Aging, Complex, Elegant, Stone Fruit, Ageworthy|
|Dietary||Vegetarian, Vegan, Sustainable, Practising Organic|
About the Region and Producer
Waterkloof was founded back in 2004 and is a family-owned vineyard using sustainable Organic practices. The vineyards are perched high up on the windswept Schapenberg growing area, overlooking False Bay and the climate moderating Atlantic Ocean. Healthy soils, a naturally low yield and a long growing season help provide Cellarmaster Nadia Barnard with balanced grapes that offer a clear sense of place and terroir. In the winery they are transformed into wines with little intervention resulting in very fine, inimitable and eminently quaffable wines which are often best enjoyed with food.
Vineyard and Winery
Size: 1.75 hectares (single block)
– Ocean Proximity: 5km
– Altitude: 300mExposure: East
– Windspeed: Hectic
– Soil: Compacted Sandstone (18% stone)
– Farming: Organic & Regenerative with no irrigation
– Vine Training: Bush Vine (stake-by-vine for support in wind)
– Yield: Grapes – 4tons/hectare Wine – 33hl/hectare
– Hand-picked and hand-sorted
– Whole bunch pressed for purest juice
– Wild yeast ferment in old 600l French oak barrels
– 10 months on lees without stirring
– No additions other than sulphur
– 4386 bottles made
Net Orders Checkout